Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My child support order states that payments will continue…

My child support order...

My child support order states that payments will continue until "each child" are 18 or graduates. my daughter has graduated june30th but was emancipated from her mothers home on march 29th. my son is 14 years of age. do the child support amount change with modification. or do i keep paying the same amount until he graduates...state of georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed the restraining order on my daughter, by her mother, that did not allow her to return to the home from march 29th to July 5th. i also presented a notorized letter from my daughter to the judge stating that she no longer lives with her mother and asking for her portion of child support be dropped. the judge denied my request

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No maam

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If the child is 18 and has graduated and/or is now emancipated, you could motion the court and seek to modify the amount of support which is paid. If your son is the only minor child at this time, the amount could be reduced and you should motion for that change, so it is modified and reduced.

https://www.georgialegalaid.org/files/6FCBD72D-B465-109D-9EC1-5A4F52A74EE9/attachments/807136B8-6E4C-47EF-90DA-BC8B554179A6/cs-modification_packet.pdf

is the terminology "each child" left to interpretation? Does what paperwork do i need to actually get this done? i am still paying the full amount of child support. Does her mother have to pay back the child support since my daughter was emancipated?

The payments of support will continue for each child until a condition is met but if your daughter is now emancipated, you should not have to pay double the amount of support for your son. The mother should not have to pay anything back but once you file, you could act that it be applied retroactively if she is still receiving it.

but shouldnt child support be reduced upon her graduation? regardless of the emancipation?

Yes, it could have. Once she graduated and reached the age of 18, a motion could have been filed as well to modify it so support is only paid for your son.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer