Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am a grandmother with temporary custody of my

Customer Question
I am a grandmother...

I am a grandmother with temporary custody of my granddaughter thru DHS. The social worker is out to get my daughter. She is very unprofessional & speaks to us both in a disrespectful manner. She does not respect my time & has me running around to all kinds of appointments. She will not respond to my emails & has been controlling my life for 6 months now. What rights do I have thru all of this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have temporary custody of my granddaughter. My daughter has gone thru substance abuse evaluations & has completed what they have asked her to do. The next hearing is not until March. The babys father is the one who called in the complaint. He is also the one who provided my daughter with drugs in the first place to loose her baby weight. He is violent & controlling. She left him & he called in complaint. I have been told to go to an AA mtg which i did & has nothing to do with anyone i know & to also get a mental evaluation which i did. My report to them said they had no worries about my mental health & i did not need to be seen again. I work ft & have my granddaughter in daycare while im at work. I have to miss alot of work now due to appointments & it is hard to make it. I do not have money for an attorney & feel trapped.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Visits just increased ive been told for both parents even though the father has been arrested multiple times. He has a criminal no contact order on him.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Michael Bradley

does your daughter have any visitation with the child?

She has only 2 hrs/wk supervised as well as the father. I used to be able to supervise both parents visits but he was harrassing me & i told him he was no longer welcome in my home. I was told visits would now be increasing after she has followed thru with what she needed to do but he also will get more visits & he has been arrested 4 viloence 3 times in the last few months.

I feel for your dilemma as working with DHS is hard especially for you as you are now required to do all of the heavy lifting

regarding the issue for the case worker you can always ask to talk to their supervisor

as long as your daughter keeps out of trouble and works her program she should qualify for more time

I would totally ask to speak to their supervisor

I get that now you have the child they want them to see every doctor and dentist and it is tough since you already raised your kids

you are certainly better than the child being in foster care

I did call her supervisor before I got on this site & left her a msg to call me but havent heard back from her. Im afraid it will make things worse. Im wondering what my rights are as her caretaker if I have any.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

you certainly have rights but DHS' concern is with the child than the caregiver

supervisors handle these types of issues all the time

you have a right to object to the case worker if you feel they are not taking the child's best interests at heart

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer