Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am seeking to get temporary guardianship of my nephew, as…

Customer Question
I am seeking to...

I am seeking to get temporary guardianship of my nephew, as is my mother the child's grandmother. (Basically third party custody). I need guardianship for the time being so that I can enroll my nephew in school and take care of routine medical care. Currently his guardians are in the state of Colorado, and Oregon DHS/CPS has informed me that that is here jurisdiction is. There is more to the story but i can get into that as needed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He is physically in Oregon, here I am trying to enroll him in school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

An Oregon CPS investigation into his parent ad guardians in Colorado is ongoing but no paperwork for guardianship has been filed on our part.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

It sounds like Oregon is telling you that you have to file papers in Colorado to become the temporary guardian. Correct? And if that is so, have you looked into doing it even though you are in Oregon? Lastly, are you saying that your Mother and the child's Grandmother would oppose it?

You are correct about filing in Colorado. The child's mother no longer has parental rights (thy were severed by the state of Kansas a couple of years ago). I am not sure about the status of his father's (my brother's) rights, but he does not have current guardianship. Current guardianship is with the father's parent-in-laws. The father and thus presumably the in-laws do not want us to have custody of the child. My mother is seeking custody of her grandchild with me as we reside in the same household.
I am not sure how to even start filing papers. Do I have to get a lawyer in Colorado or can I do it myself?

It would be most difficult for you to do it by yourself, especially, if you are out of state. The lawyer could handle the drafting of the paperwork for you and the filing and service of it, and appearing in court for you also.

How do I go about establishing contact without being there in person? Will someone maintain contact with me over the phone? How do I find a good lawyer for this particular case? Are there lawyers that specialize in third party custody?

Yes. An attorney will feel comfortable handling a case over the phone when someone is out of state. There are family law lawyers that handle custody matters and temporary guardianships by third parties. The local bar association where the court is will have a lawyer referral service number that you can call to request lawyer names. If you know what county it is in Colorado, I can see if I can find a number for you to call.

If you want to discuss this further just let me know.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Hello again: I am checking to see if you got all that you wanted from Just Answer on this question. Have I answered all of your questions?

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney