Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandson & granddaughter were adopted by my ex-wife

Customer Question
My grandson & granddaughter...

My grandson & granddaughter were adopted by my ex-wife following the death of our daughter. She is now also deceased. Kids are now 22 & 17 respectively. At the time of the adoption she had their names changed and incorporated in the adoption agreement. The kids are now trying to get drivers licenses and other identification and seem to be running into roadblocks. It appears the documents were sealed by the court. This took place in Texas. Do you think I should hire an attorney to assist, or?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

Not yet. Tried to call the attorney that handled the adoption, but she has not returned the call and from searching the web does not appear to be very active.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Mainly searching public records. They were born in California so I did a search using only their new name and received a certified copy of their original birth certificate with original names.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Yes, you should hire a lawyer in the same county where the adoption was granted. It is not unusual for cases such as this to be sealed but a lawyer can file a Motion to Unseal Record, explain why you are requesting that it be unsealed, and the judge will likely issue an order unsealing it and allowing access to whatever records you need.

Since this is being done on behalf of a minor child, no one other than an attorney can file the Motion since, in Texas, only an attorney can represent someone else in court.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer