Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in ohio and i have a friend who has been married for…

Customer Question
Hi yes i live...

Hi yes i live in ohio and i have a friend who has been married for 20 years and is about to get a divorce from her husband and she wanted to know that if she ask for child support and spousal support will she have to do a DNA test to get support for their 17 year old daughter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She lives in columbus ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope his name is ***** ***** childs Birth certificate

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

No, not unless her husband requests it.

There is a presumption under the law, that since they were married at the time of the child's birth, the husband is the father.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

is there a way for the request to be denied since he didnt request one when the child was born?
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

It's possible that the judge can deny his request, however it is very highly unlikely.

If the ex-husband alleges that the child is not biologically his, then it is most likely that the judge will grant paternity testing.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!