Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm my ex of 14 years out of the blue is now harassing me on…

Customer Question
I'm my ex of...

I'm my ex of 14 years out of the blue is now harassing me on FB telling me she has a child of mine I never new of can she file for child support? I am not on the birth certificate obviously, what should I do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She threatened to file for child support

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear that someone is harassing you on FB. The person could pursue you for child support; however, if you did not know about the child, it is probable that a court would order a DNA test before they issue any orders for child support. Because you aren't on the birth certificate and because it is possible she may be trying to defraud you, the court would need to ensure that you are the biological parent before they tell you to pay up any money. So, I would be prepared to take a DNA test, but if it comes back negative, you won't have to pay.

What other questions did you have for me today?

what if I refuse to do a DNA test

If the court orders you to do so, then you can't refuse. They can fine you or sentence you to a jail sentence if you do. So, refusal is not much of an option; however, if the DNA comes back negative, you're off the hook. What other questions did you have for me today?