Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Soo, I am wanting to know the process to take to legally…

Customer Question
Hi there. Soo, I...

Hi there. Soo, I am wanting to know the process to take to legally adopt my stepson. I have been his father since he was in diapers. Hes 7 now. His biological father and his family has been absent the entire time. In and out of rehabs and prison. He agrees to sign over all rights for the best interest of my son. What do my wife and I do now. (Without hiring a lawyer)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. Theres a current custody/child support order from 2012. BUT he hasnt had any contact with my son since.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is only paying child support now because ther judge is making him. Hes about 22,000 behind in child support.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you

This is a termination and step parent adoption.You will need lawyer to file in District Court in the county in which you reside.The court will terminate his rights and grant step parent adoption.Often the lawyer can get bio dad to relinquish his rights and simplify this.

To adopt a stepchild in Texas, one of the following circumstances must apply:
1. The adoptee is an adult. In this case, it is not necessary to obtain permission from the absent biological parent.
2. There is only one living biological parent.
3.The “absent” biological parent is in agreement with the stepparent regarding the adoption of the child, and is willing to sign the appropriate documents.
4.There is one biological parent who is active in the child’s life because the other biological parent is absent by choice or his/her whereabouts are unknown. Or, in some cases the identity of the biological father may be unknown.

When the adoption is completed, the child will have the following benefits:
Two legal parents active in the child’s life
New birth certificate
Ability to inherit from adoptive parent
New name is established (if desired).

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best in all of this.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated, let me know if you have more too.

Family lawyer for you here through our state bar

Contact us by phone:(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Let me know if you have follow up.Adoption here takes 45-60 days from filing to granting it.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer