Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have several question on legal custody and physical

Customer Question
custody with children. I have...
I have several question on legal custody and physical custody with children. I have questions on mediation and the terms and conditions of it. I am currently divorced we have no custody agreement in place. I was asked by my ex husband to give his new wife legal custody so she is able to take the children to doctors appointments and things of that nature. I received a phone call on december 12, 2017 asking me to discuss things with the mediator on my ex husbands phone on speaker. I ask why i was told about the meeting she stated when they sent the summons that they were told the location was vacant in which it was because i had moved. We discuss things and I told her i live two hours away. they put everything that was wanted into a paper and she sent it to me to sign. I do not feel comfortable signing what i am being asked to sign because i do not understand what rights i will lose and if i want to resume more custody i want to know i will still have the option. The paper is stating the my ex husband will have full physical custody and that he and his new wife will have legal custody and i am not included in any of these things. My visitation is very limited and not specified as i would like in the paperwork. If i were to sign what options of resuming more custody would i have?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

If you sign that document, you're agreeing that you only get the limited visitation outlined in that document. You'd have no right ask for increased visits for at least six months, and no right to assist in making any important decisions regarding the child. Important decisions include things like what religion to raise the child in (if any), whether to send her to private or public school, whether to send her to counseling or to put her on certain medications, and things like that. Signing means you're OK with the father and step mother making all of those decisions without consulting you.

It's possible for a parent to seek a modification to a custody agreement later. However, you have to be able to show a material change in circumstances. Meaning that something has to happen that isn't anticipated now and which shows that you should get more time with the kids. Most judges won't hear a modification order for at least six months after the original order is entered, and there's no way to know whether you'll experience a change that would justify the request.

You do not have to sign the document. If you don't agree with what it says and you sign anyway, you're stuck with it. The other option is to send back a list of suggested changes. Or you can choose to go to court and show the judge why you should get shared custody rather than limited visitation.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions I can answer?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer