Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am from another country, and I am living in US for one…

Customer Question
Hi, I am from another...
Hi, I am from another country, and I am living in US for one year, my ex boyfriend is living here too he is not American too, he had a video of us having sex and I am really terrified because he still likes me and he can send this to my new boyfriend, what could do? I was thinking in make a emporary restraining order but I don't know if I can once I am not American and also he, other thing is, we live in different states here in US...
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

It is illegal if your ex-boyfriend sends your video to a third-party, your new boyfriend. This is called "revenge porn." Your ex-boyfriend can be prosecuted for distribution of the video without your consent. In the meantime, you can apply to the Court in the State where you live to stop him from releasing the video. It does not matter he lives in another State. You can apply for a Restraining Order to stop him from releasing the video.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.