Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child was adopted out at the age of seven she is now 27…

Customer Question
My child was adopted...

My child was adopted out at the age of seven she is now 27 years old I filed her as my dependent in 2013 it's is saying that I need to send proof that shes my biological daughter and I have did that....now they are saying I need to send in something saying I've gained my rights back as her mother where do I get such paperwork please help this has been a never ending process

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Just found this out tonight.So no not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That I've sent in original birth certificate and certified copies of the adoption order

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Basically if your child has been adopted by another family, that child is a member of THAT family. If at a later date you try to claim that child as a dependent, you need to provide a court order that shows that you have been granted parental rights over that person once again. And that would need to have happened before the child's 18th birthday. It's not enough to say she is your biological daughter, at least as it pertains being able to claim her now. Please let me know if I've answered your question.