Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am separated from wife since June 28,2017. She actually…

Customer Question
Hi, I am separated from...
Hi, I am separated from wife since June 28,2017. She actually kicked me out of house. Now I think she is filling for divorce, she lives in DE, I use to live with her in DE before separation. Now I live in PA. My question is, she has my B O Box address and she also knows where I work. She has visited my work place after separation. She has my Google phone number where we communicate. But if she files a divorce, Since she doesn't have my residential address. How would Cop serve me the papers?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Michael Bradley
In order for her to get correct service on you of the divorce complaint, there are a couple options. However, there is really only one option at this point. Normally it is sent via u.s. mail certified and this requires your signature on it. Since she does not know where you live at fine option. The other way for service would be to have it personally handed to you. She could not do it herself but anyone over the age of 18 would be able to serve you and that would be valid. They can certainly try to wait outside where you work and try to serve you at that point either coming or going. The legal requirement is that it is handed to you.
But she is not talking to me, She is not even let me see my son. Is this possible if she tell court she doesn't know my address and Court will pass the judgment after 20 days even I wont receive the papers? Or is it her responsibility to deliver it to me. Because I don't know when she will file it. Is there any way I can track it ?
It is her responsibility to get you served. Theoretically she could try to get an order for publication in order to serve you but that would require a court order and substantial attempt to try to get you serve and failed. You could go online to the county that she resides in and try to look up online whether or not a complaint has been filed and what the status of the case may be. Now, if you are not able to see your child that is another issue and you may want to file an action in child custody
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer