Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can domestic violence case be reopened after few years. Ca.

Customer Question
Can domestic violence case...

Can domestic violence case be reopened after few years

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/18/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Is this a criminal case or part of a family law proceeding?

It could be criminal case
I just want to know in general if it's possible to reopen domestic violence case after it's been closed

Yes it is but there are statute of limitations issues. One moment please.

Ok

So for example if children are involved and penal code 273.5 applies the statute of limitations is 3 years:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=273.5.

For assault and battery it is 1 year;

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=243.&lawCode=PEN

Any new act would restart the statute of limitations.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

It would be the prosecutor's decision as to whether to reopen or not.

One can also seek a protective order;

That information is here:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htm

and most courts have advocates that will assist with the paperwork and possibly appear in court.

Thank you

You are most welcome. Thank you.

List of domestic violence hotlines here

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer