Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Kansas and am divorced, my son turned 18 in Oct…

Customer Question
I live in Kansas...

I live in Kansas and am divorced, my son turned 18 in Oct this year. It is specified in the decree my ex can claim the "minor" child, my son has lived with me since the divorce (over 2 years) I pay all living and school related expenses. My question is now that he is legally an adult can I claim him for 2017, it is very specific in the decree that she can claim the "minor" child.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

My divorce attorney tells me I can, I just want a second opinion

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 9 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Is your ex-spouse disagreeing with you about who can claim the "minor" child for 2017?

No but Im expecting her to disagree with me on it.
is that the only response I will get here ?

Hold, please. Developing it...

If your ex-spouse disagrees and the court ordered that she has the right to claim the minor child, then there is a possibility that someone like your ex-spouse could petition or motion the court to claim you are violating the court order. Even if the facts support your position, technically, in that scenario, someone like in your position would have to motion the court to modify the order to reflect the change in circumstances and request a modification of the court order.

If you want to discuss this further, just let me know. If you have a followup question, just let me know.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Hello again: I am checking to see if you got all that you wanted from Just Answer on this question. Have I answered all of your questions?