Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in NJ and currently my son falls asleep with me at…

Customer Question
I live in NJ...

I live in NJ and currently my son falls asleep with me at night. He is 10, diagnosed with autism and adhd. He has been through 2 divorces and has expressed extreme anxiety in sleeping a floor below me. Therefor, he sleeps with me. His father and I have been divorced 7 years and he is just now threatening to take me to court for full custody over this issue. I have spoken to the school counselor who advised me that I was doing what was/is best for my son right now. I am in contact with the pediatrician as well in order to discuss the best possible transition for my son. Can you advise me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. To be honest I do not have the money . I have paid over 25,000 in legal fees for both divorces.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if this is even a case or not. I believe it is a threatening scare tactic on his behalf,

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. My heart goes out to you these are difficult matters.

Can you advise me if my son can be taken for the above mentioned matter?

It is not uncommon for children older then your son that have experienced trauma to feel safe sleeping in the room with their parent. As you know autism has a wide spectrum and what works for one child may not work for another.

I do not see any basis based on what you have told for your child to be removed from you.

In fact the parent that is causing harm is the one that is threatening this action. You can talk to 10 different specialists and receive 10 different opinions. This person threatening drastic change would surely cause harm. The court must always act in the best of the child. Where in NJ are you located so I can provide some Pro Bono assistance for you in your area.

"If there is no agreement between the parents, it will be the judge’s job to weigh the facts to determine what is in the child’s best interest, and if the lawyer fails to present a complete picture, the judge may not have enough information; consequently, the welfare of the ASD child may be severely prejudiced." http://www.lawjournalnewsletters.com/sites/lawjournalnewsletters/2017/11/01/autism-in-family-courts/?slreturn=20171118130519

The courts take this very seriously.

Are yo online with me?

Pro Bono Legal Services https://www.justia.com/lawyers/family-law/new-jersey/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

Support Services http://www.autismfamilyservicesnj.org/resources/helpful-links/ Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

Did you have any additional questions for me?