Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im trying to find out if I can move out of state with son.

Customer Question
Im trying to find...

Im trying to find out if I can move out of state with son

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA Los Angeles County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Last year we had a CFS case but if was closed and my son was returned home, at the time his father and I were still together. Currently we are not together and not living together and my son live with my full time

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/18/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
you can move out of state. Generally, a parent who has a no court order regarding custody, or an order for sole physical custody (also called “primary physical custody”) can move away with the children unless the other parent can show that the move would harm the children.But it is not always clear whether a custody order is permanent or temporary, so what the law requires may be different in your case.If you were awarded joint physical custody of the children or you have a parenting agreement, and the other parent does not want the child to move, the parent that wants to move with the children, then you must show the court that the move is in the best interest of the children.So, If a custody agreement is not in place, generally you are free to relocate with your kids wherever you wish unless your spouse objects. If your spouse objects to a move, your spouse can seek a court order to prevent you from taking your children out-of-state.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive payment for assisting you with your question.We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer