Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has a girlfriend and I wad asked by the judge to pick…

Customer Question
My son has a girlfriend...
My son has a girlfriend and I wad asked by the judge to pick up their baby and I agreed. I find out that I had to bring him back on Monday morning and I couldn't do it because I have to take my granddaughter to school at the time I was to return the baby. The girlfriend has threatened to call the police because I am in c contempt of the law. What are my rights since I did not get the court order and I didn't sign anything?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Since you're not a party to their custody dispute, you cannot be held in contempt of court. The order only applies to your son and his girlfriend. She could try to have your son held in contempt for not arranging to get the child back, but that will depend on the exact wording of the order. Contempt also is enforced by filing a motion, not through police action.

With that said, if she sends police to your house to pick up the child, since you're not a parent and do not have a copy of the order, they will likely take her away. And she might try to have you charged with kidnapping. One way to avoid that is to return the baby as soon as possible.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.

I got the baby back yesterday earlier than the order said and she threatened me.

You can't really control what time someone else gives you the child. You're not obligated to refuse - especially since you're not a party to the case and haven't seen the order.

Do you have any other questions about this?