Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm speaking for a friend who has had an awful abusive act…

Customer Question
I'm speaking for a...

I'm speaking for a friend who has had an awful abusive act by her x husband. He coached their 12 year old boy to record the mother during something that went on between the son and Mother that the x husband used to call CPS on the woman. I am seeing an abuse of the x husband manipulating a child in this way. What do you take from this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Troy, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not talked to a lawyer, Theresa has a lawyer and I'm sure they have talked by now. I am just curious what your take is on this action by her x husband?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What exactly was alleged and recorded?

She was too upset to get into it. But this woman is I swear a Saint. She works two jobs to make things work as her xhusband gives no support. In her one job she does art work and works with the mentally challenged. Theresa was named after Saint Theresa(the little flower), not the well know Saint Theresa...Her other job is supplementary insurance for those with cancer.

Thank you for the reply. If the mother was recorded doing something, it could be used against her, if there is a legal basis for it. If the child is at risk or harm, CPS or the police can step in to protect the child as needed. An issue is always if the child is lying as a result of the fathers coaching but if something was legally recorded it could be used against the mother.

My take is that there was no abuse, as she would have told me. The husband is just trying to get out of child support and the poor boy is put in the middle.. Can you suggest who I might write as a character witness per Theresa?

You would need to appear at the hearing and testify. If you want to help the mother, you would need to appear in court.

I have studied law as well, and I always liked these words," In our increasingly complex society, carelessness can sometimes be more detrimental to society then some torts...I am asking for your perception on this case. Not so much an answer. Please give me your best on this. God Bless you in this Christmas season....

I think you need to know what was recorded and alleged. I know you trust the mother but if something was recorded, it could have something to do with the mother so unless it is known what was said or done, it is impossible to give a direct answer since you shared she did nothing wrong. If she did nothing wrong, it should be dismissed and there should be no findings.

Ely, Counselor at Law