Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Divorce. Georgia. Need to answer to divorce complaint

Customer Question
divorce Lawyer's Assistant: Because...

divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Need to answer to divorce complaint without minor children

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here is answer and counterclaim for divorce.This has step by step to allow you to complete the process.You file it in same court as divorce was filed in .

http://www.southernjudicialcircuit.com/selfhelp/miscforms/answer.pdf

This will allow to put it all in dispute and you may work on resolving it or having court divide up the property.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Since Georgia is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

There are no factors listed in the statutes regarding what is considered by the court when distributing the property upon divorce.

The verdict of the jury disposing of the property in a divorce case shall be carried into effect by the court by entering such judgment or decree or taking such other steps as are usual in the exercise of the court's equitable powers to execute effectually and fully the jury's verdict. (Georgia Code - Sections: 19-5-13)

O.C.G.A. 9-11-12 (2010)
9-11-12. Answer, defenses, and objections; when and how presented and heard; when defenses waived; stay of discovery

(a) When answer presented. A defendant shall serve his answer within 30 days after the service of the summons and complaint upon him, unless otherwise provided by statute. A cross-claim or counterclaim shall not require an answer, unless one is required by order of the court, and shall automatically stand denied.

30 days here to get answer and counter claim on file.