Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have moved to the country of belize, I paid xwife for 5…

Customer Question
I have moved to...

I have moved to the country of belize, I paid xwife for 5 years and I am not goint to pay her any more. she lives in tyrone, ga. other than file a contempt order what can she do, I have a home in Fl. is there anyway she can get that home. ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I see no need

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Yes, for unpaid support she can obtain a judgment lien from the court in GA and then would be able to go to FL and file a petition to recognize and enforce foreign judgment and upon proving you live in Belize and not in FL as your homestead, she could get a judgment lien on the home and if it is not mortgaged heavily she could seek to foreclose on the home and have it seized and sold for satisfaction of the judgment.

If the home were your primary residence, then it would be protected under the homestead exemption. If you have a heavy mortgage on the home, then her judgment lien would not be able to collect before the mortgage is paid off so in that case she likely would not get anything and would not be able to foreclose on the home because the mortgage would prime her judgment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I also have a job that is seasonal but I am paid a salary year round, i am paid out of the state of Alabama but perform the seasonal work in Ct. where I live part time. My understanding about Alimony is that she can not seek garnishment of wages from my company. I also have sizable 401-k plan, is there anything she can do with my 401-k? Remember we got a divorce in the state of Ga.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, actually, they can seek to garnish your wages from a company if you are paying yourself wages. If you are not getting wages from your company, then the court can place a lien on your company stating that any shares of earnings that would go to you from the company can be seized to pay the debt.

A 401K is typically exempt from garnishment, but for family support a court can attach a 401K or proceeds from a 401K. So unless you plan on moving all of your assets offshore to Belize, which is known for very secretive banking and non-cooperation with the US authorities and courts, your assets in the US can be subject to garnishment or seizure or liens.