Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have joint custody of my son with my ex-spouse, but my son…

Customer Question
I have joint custody...

I have joint custody of my son with my ex-spouse, but my son lives with his mother approximately 2/3 of the year in another state. We have a very strict parenting plan with regard to joint major decision-making for our son, etc. In addition, my ex-wife is supposed to meet me halfway between our residences whenever my son has visitation with me. My son turned 18 in September of this year. He graduates from high school in May 2018. Though he has wanted to visit on regular visitation weekends and holidays, my ex-wife has told him that the entire parenting plan ended on his 18th birthday and she refuses to bring him to the halfway point to drop him with me. She also will not allow him to drive himself. She has also been making derogatory statements about me, which he is upset about and has completely stopped communicating with me about his education, etc. While I understand that he is legally of age, I am still paying child support until he graduates and our parenting plan has no provision to expire when he turns 18, rather it appears to be in effect until he graduates. My question is - can my ex wife legally refuse to cooperate if he wants to visit and are the other provisions of our parenting plan still in effect until he graduates? Our divorce took place in Tennessee and she and my son reside in Tennessee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did. Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not about this issue, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all at the moment. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

While I understand that he is legally of age, I am still paying child support until he graduates and our parenting plan has no provision to expire when he turns 18, rather it appears to be in effect until he graduates. My question is - can my ex wife legally refuse to cooperate if he wants to visit

Response 1: No.

and are the other provisions of our parenting plan still in effect until he graduates?

Response 2: I have no idea without actually seeing the document. You need to carefully review your parenting plan as to its terms.

Eventhough you are still paying for support because he is in school, your son is no longer considered a minor and the parenting plan may have expired by operation of the law. Thus, he can make decisions for himself. He can ignore his mother and still comes to see you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law