Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm legally married and I want to adopt an adult he's 22…

Customer Question
Hi I'm legally married...

Hi I'm legally married and I want to adopt an adult he's 22 years old , can I do the adoption without the consent of my husband and do by myself the adoption just me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This person is an adult ,he works and he lives independently, he's gay , my husband is homophobic and I'm been supporting and helping this person and i would like to do the adoption without involving my husband ,can this be possible?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
the mother of the adoptee she's in another country and she abandoned this person since he had 4 yrs old, we don't know her address or something like that , can this person be put by default in the adoption form?
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

can I do the adoption without the consent of my husband and do by myself the adoption just me?

.

Unfortunately the answer is no, if you are legally married, it requires both spouse's consent to adopt, whether it be a minor or adult. The reason is that once adopted, the individual has all the same rights as a biological child, so it requires both spouses to consent..

.

You would have to get a divorce if you wanted to do this on your own..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks