Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband wants to divorce me when he retires, sorry about…

Customer Question
My husband wants to...

My husband wants to divorce me when he retires, sorry about the spelling, is it that he doesn't have to pay spousal support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, can't affored one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Oregon will likely require him to pay you spousal support.

Toggle navigationDivorcenet

Search

Search Type AllProductsLawyersArticles

Search Term

Location

1. Family Law and Divorce
  2. Divorce: Who Gets What?
  3. Alimony

Understanding and Calculating Alimony in Oregon

In Oregon, alimony is called “spousal support” or “spousal maintenance.” Spouses can agree to a certain amount of alimony, or the court may order it if an agreement can’t be reached.

By Melissa Tapply

Considering Divorce? We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

Please answer a few questions to help us match you with attorneys in your area.

1. Case Details
  2. Contact Info

Family law issue Step 1 of 6

Adoption

Child Custody

Child Support

Divorce

Domestic Violence

Guardianship

Marriage/Partnership

Paternity

Premarital Agreements

Spousal Support

--Select an answer--AdoptionChild CustodyChild SupportDivorceDomestic ViolenceGuardianshipMarriage/PartnershipPaternityPremarital AgreementsSpousal Support Marital status Step 2 of 6

Unmarried, Living Together

Unmarried, Do Not Live Together

Married, Living Together

Separated

Divorced

Other

--Select an answer--Unmarried, Living TogetherUnmarried, Do Not Live TogetherMarried, Living TogetherSeparatedDivorcedOther Do you have children? Step 3 of 6

Yes

No

--Select an answer--YesNo How will you pay legal fees if you hire a lawyer? Step 4 of 6

Cash

Check

Credit Card

Friend

Family

Other (specify below)

--Select an answer--CashCheckCredit CardFriendFamilyOther (specify below)

Where do you need a Family attorney? Step 5 of 6

Briefly describe your case. Step 6 of 6

What is your first name? Step 1 of 4

What is your last name? Step 2 of 4

What is your email address? Step 3 of 4

What is your telephone number? Step 4 of 4

Processing

Get FREE Evaluation

We are committed to your privacy. By clicking "Submit" you agree the phone number you provided may be used to contact you (including autodials, text messages, and/or pre-recorded calls). Consent is not a condition of purchase.

You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Any information sent through this site does not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent through this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.

show all options

< back forward >

Alimony is a regular payment one spouse makes to the other spouse to provide financial support during and/or after a divorce. In Oregon, alimony is called “spousal support” or “spousal maintenance.” Spouses can agree to a certain amount of alimony, or the court may order it if an agreement can’t be reached. The court doesn’t consider whether anyone was at fault for the divorce when ordering alimony.

In Oregon, you can ask for temporary alimony as soon as the divorce action is filed and until you receive your final judgment. The court can also order that one spouse help to pay the other spouse’s divorce expenses, like attorney fees.

At the time the divorce becomes final, courts in Oregon can order three types of alimony: transitional spousal support, compensatory spousal support, and spousal maintenance.

Transitional Spousal Support

The purpose of transitional spousal support is to provide support to one spouse for a period of time so that spouse can go to school or receive training in order to earn more money and become self-supporting. When deciding how much transitional spousal support to order, courts will consider several factors, including:

• the length of the marriage
  • the requesting spouse’s training and employment skills
  • the requesting spouse’s work experience
  • both spouses’ financial needs and resources
  • the effect spousal support will have on each spouse’s taxes
  • whether either spouse has custody of a child and/or pays child support, and
  • any other factors the that are appropriate to consider in making a fair order.

Compensatory Spousal Support

The purpose of compensatory spousal support is to reimburse a spouse for financial or personal support which allowed the other spouse to get training or education that contributed to his or her earning capacity. For example, a judge could order compensatory spousal support to a spouse who worked and supported the family during the marriage while the other spouse went to school. The court will consider the following factors in awarding this type of support:

• the amount, nature and duration of the contribution
  • the length of the marriage
  • the earning abilities of both spouses
  • how much the contribution has already benefited the spouses financially during the marriage
  • the effect spousal support will have on each spouse’s taxes, and

Spousal Maintenance

Spousal maintenance is a payment by one spouse to the other for financial support. Spousal maintenance may be ordered for a set period of time or it may be ongoing. Spousal maintenance orders are often made when the marriage was long term and one of the spouses does not earn enough to be self-supporting. The factors the court will consider in ordering spousal maintenance are:

• the length of the marriage
  • the ages of each spouse
  • the spouses’ physical, mental and emotional health
  • the standard of living during the marriage
  • each spouse’s incomes
  • the training and employment skills of the supported spouse
  • the work experience of the supported spouse
  • each spouse’s financial needs and resources

Modification and Termination of Alimony

If circumstances change after the order is made, a spouse can file a motion to ask the court to modify or terminate alimony.

Taxes on Spousal Support

In general, the spouse paying support can deduct the payments from income. For the spouse receiving support, the payments count as income and are taxable.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight. Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

P​lease let me know if you have more follow up.For sure he likely has to pay you spousal support here for half the length of marriage.Retirement doesn't exempt or change that here.

Lawyer here to protect your rights to spousal support.Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral

• Directions
  • Website