Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In Ga. who has the right to pick up the ashes of a person in…

Customer Question
In Ga. who has...

In Ga. who has the right to pick up the ashes of a person in the family?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son died and his only child had been adopted by step father years ago. I’m the Mother of my son. Who has the legal right in Ga.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The legal next of kin is entitled to the remains. So, if your son had no surviving spouse, who is next legal kin, then your son's descendants (children) would be next. If there is no surviving spouse or children, then the parents have equal rights to claim the ashes.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

This is not what I feel is fair. I’m not sure this is correct. I’m not happy or do I intend to believe in your answer. I do not want to join and do not charge me for this. Sally Sandwith

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry you do not feel it is fair. Perhaps if you told us a bit more about your situation we could give you more information, but we do not write the laws and the laws are not always fair, regardless of what some people feel. So, while you may feel it is unfair, the law says what it says and whether you want to believe it or not or whether it was not what you wanted to hear, you will find out if you try to pursue something contrary to the law that you will not succeed.

However, you may have some additional facts you may wish to share with us for us to try to do a little more digging into laws to see if there is some exemption based on your additional facts.