Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was accused of inappropriate conduct with a client. There…

Customer Question
I was accused of...

I was accused of inappropriate conduct with a client. There is a video showing this conduct. The video was obtained by a magazine and an article appeared suggesting an inappropriate relationship. If it was just one night, in a public place, and not an affair, do i have grounds to sue for defamation or slander?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

CT. The event occurred in VA and the article was published in NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am married. He is married. He works for the government. I admit to the gross error of judgement. I do not admit to the affair

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil litigation law question today.

I'm attorney Bill assisting you.

There is the possibility of both an invasion of privacy suit and a defamation law suit.

If the video was obtained and distributed without your consent or license then there is a possibility of a privacy breach and to seek court damages for an intentional invasion of privacy.

In relation to the publication of the video intimating a promiscuous relationship that is damaging to your public image as a professional and private life within your marriage you could sue under the laws of libel and slander.

If the magazine is based in NY you might hire a NY attorney and sue the defendant company in NY, that said because the damage done may be countrywide particularly in your home state you could also sue in your home state; this would be a strategic decision that would have to be looked into in the early stages of litigation as selecting the correct court will be important in later enforcing the judgment and bringing the case expediently to trial.

To be successful in a defamation suit you need show the following:

Publication of a a wrongful fact about you,

Which is personally damaging,

done either negligently or intentionally,

communicated to at least one other person,

resulting in personal damaging outcomes to your reputation.

Please follow up with me if you need more information, we are here to help.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before your exit.

Thank You

Attorney Bill