Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have several questions, I need to know if I still have a…

Customer Question
Hi. I have several...

Hi. I have several questions, I need to know if I still have a chance to get child support from my ex husband. Even though he had a court order to pay. but which he never did. But that was from the year 1976. I have all the papers that child support send me from Brownsville, Texas. On which they never did anything or try to find him. I still have my youngest my sons going to college I have struggle all this years with all my children. I just want to know if there's a chance that he can pay for what he owes. At least to my youngest son that's going to college. I know it's been to many years. But I didn't know then... what a few days I found out. Sorry to bother you with this questions. Thank you very much. Looking forward to hear from you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Right now I moved to Columbus NC. But child support was issue in Brownsville, Texas. The papers were send to my old address. At Ft. Myers, Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I haven't. Just to you asking for some advice or in what ever you can help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if there's a chance, if child support. can get him. I found out from one of my daughters that he had gotten pretty good sum of money from a settlement of an accident he had in San Antonio, Texas. But most of all i just want him to pay what he owe to my children. Even though they are all grown up, but most of all to the one that's still in college and struggling.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that the children's father failed in his legal and moral obligation to support the children.

According to statute, the debt must be collected within 10 years of the child reaching the age of majority; here is that statute:

Sec. 157.005. TIME LIMITATIONS; ENFORCEMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT. (a) The court retains jurisdiction to render a contempt order for failure to comply with the child support order if the motion for enforcement is filed not later than the second anniversary of the date:

(1) the child becomes an adult; or

(2) on which the child support obligation terminates under the order or by operation of law.

(b) The court retains jurisdiction to confirm the total amount of child support arrearages and render a cumulative money judgment for past-due child support, as provided by Section 157.263, if a motion for enforcement requesting a cumulative money judgment is filed not later than the 10th anniversary after the date:

(1) the child becomes an adult; or

(2) on which the child support obligation terminates under the child support order or by operation of law.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, eff. April 20, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 556, Sec. 15, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

This agency will help with collections:

http://www.ncchildsupport.com/

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

I thought i was chatting with a lawyer secretary. That's why i agree to pay my credit card. I didn't received no answer just some legal things that i don't understand

I am a lawyer; not a secretary;

So essentially the child support order can be enforced until 10 years after the child reaches age 18, or 10 years after the order ended.

I included the statute for your reference.

Hope this helps!

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Thank you and take care.

I would like a refund of the money that was taken out of my account. That's what you said at the beginning if I wasn't satisfy with my answers plus you took all the money I had on my on my account not only the $5.00 dollars you said but the full $39.00 dollars. It was said that you will refund the money if a customer wasn't satisfy. I wouldn't mind too much but that's all I have for the month of Dec. I would appreciate if you'll refund that money. Thank you very much
are you going to charge me for the call too. Cause I can't afford paying the bank over fees. I only have a small check coming each month.

I am an individual contributor and do not have access to your account;

please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/help and they should be able to assist.

I'm sorry you werent satisfied since the statute was provided along with a specific answer to your direct question. Thank you.