Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Married 10 years to an immigrant from China...she brought…

Customer Question
Married 10 years to...

Married 10 years to an immigrant from China...she brought nothing to the marriage and has not paid anything toward household maintenance except for food on occasion. What would be an equitable amount of support for her. she is 59 and I am 68 retired. Owned home and retired before met her and was given inheritance by aunt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We had started a divorce three years ago but i took her back because I had promised her I would do whatever i coujld to hlep get her son here...he is now here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Her english is not the best....other than not...no

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I have given her 30,000 a year ago to help her brother buy a house in China...I bought her a car for 23000 and gave her 15000 for her savings and just recently paid off her debt on crdit card 8400.00 I just want to do this ourselves but she said she has to ask and attorney. she said she won't fight me but one never knows.

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with the divorce process.

There is no set formula for spousal support; the amount that may be ordered will be determined by the court. This can vary based on the judge assigned to the case.

Normally the court will consider the parties' respective assets, earning capabilities, ability to pay support and the standard of living as achieved during marriage.
Some courts will use a 20% of the obligor's income as a guide. If retired, then generally the court would divide the assets and if there is no (or minimal) incoming income, the court may not award support.

Normally the courts will divide marital property 50/50 unless there is a compelling reason why that should not be done.

Any agreement (if agreed to between the parties) would need to be approved by the judge.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.