Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need help as soon as possible, my husband has decided to…

Customer Question
Hi I need help...

Hi I need help as soon as possible, my husband has decided to throw me out of the home, and as sick as he is he is leaving everything to his son and grand son from a first marriage, we have married for 30 years, he hates me with passion lately as he has become an invalid, please give me some legal advice thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We reside in Roswell Ga FULTON county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I do not have any money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does he has the right to throw me out without any income

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your husband cannot make you leave the marital home without a court order, which would require him to file for divorce. If he does file for divorce, you'll be able to request that he pay you spousal support. You'd also be entitled to half of all assets acquired during the marriage, no matter whose name is ***** ***** That includes any retirement accounts, bank accounts, and half the equity in your home, if you own it.

Georgia is the only state in the union that allows a person to disinherit their spouse. If he's planning to write a will leaving you out, filing for divorce might be one way to preserve your share of assets acquired during the marriage. However, you would be allowed to petition the probate court for one year's support out of hie estate.

Should he pass without writing a will, you will get 1/3 of his estate.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?