Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How can i get custody of my grandchildren in ga. my daughter…

Customer Question
How can i get...

How can i get custody of my grandchildren in ga. my daughter has two sons, 14mths and 7yrs. she has been going out and party all night or for days at a time and not coming home. She is consitently high, not working and i don't want this situation to get worse for them

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I had to call in to work today because she has not been home in two days and the boys have been dropped off with me.This is becoming a pattern I don't like, and she has no intention of stopping so now i'm looking at options

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The boys have different fathers, one lives with her, he had to go to work and tht is why i have them, the other lives in another city. they are both young and not ready to take on the responsibility of raising these boys. I also don't want them split up

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Since she is leaving them with you, in capable hands, you cannot involve Child Protection and claim abandonment, they will make a mess of things and make your lives miserable. You would need to first check with the fathers of the children to see if they would sign legal guardianship over to you or at least will not object to you seeking legal guardianship. Second, you will need a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship in the local court and you need to present evidence and witnesses to the court and show how the mother is unfit to supervise the children and the court will have to issue an order of guardianship.

The best part of the court ordered guardianship is the mother or father of the child cannot interfere with that without a court order proving they are now fit to have their child.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer