Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 5 yr old grand daughter recently had to go to Alaska to…

Customer Question
Hi. My 5 yr...

Hi. My 5 yr old grand daughter recently had to go to Alaska to live with her father and his parents since my daughter,her mother is at a correctional facility in Idaho completing a rider program. She will be out at the end of January. Should I have her sign a power of attorney for me to get legal assistance regarding visitation and other custody matters? There is a custody case going on currently.. The father and his mother denied the agreed upon visitation for my Grand daughter to come out to Las Vegas for the month of December. Note: My grand daughter was living in Las Vegas for the past year and 1\2 with my oldest daughter, who had temporary guardianship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

The father filed for ful/sole custody, legal and physical and child support modification. A paralegal was able to assist my daughter with filing out a form contesting his request.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We got jurisdiction moved to Nevada where my Grand daughter wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is considered a resident

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. I would strongly recommend that she give you some written authorization to take care of the child because she is in custody. This will allow you to do at least some things including take care of the health and education of the child. Not every organization is going to be okay with this, but most will be very comfortable with this.

You can click here to download a $10 copy of an authorization for minor's medical medical care. You can edit the document to include educational authorization in addition to medical care.

You can also seek guardianship of the child which means the court will give you rights over the child for the time she is in the facility.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Ely, Counselor at Law