Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I signed a post nuptial agreement under duress. My Husband…

Customer Question
I signed a post...

I signed a post nuptial agreement under duress. My Husband has filed for divorce. Is the agreement binding or can I ask for a small settlement. We were married 33 yrs. I worked & contributed to household expenses?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I have not. I have limited income. SS $886 . I can't get help from Legal Aid because He is wealthy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is an evil mean man. Mental, emotion cruelty. Physical when He was drinking

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Yes, if the agreement was not voluntarily entered into and you were pressed into it and under duress, it could be void. If you are going to attack this and make that claim, you would need to have evidence to show and support it. If you do, it could be void and have no legal effect. You can also try and settle this and resolve this, if your husband thinks you may prevail and may be willing to settle, to avoid having it declared invalid.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!