Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daugters mother decided she wants to take my child out of…

Customer Question
Hello my daugters mother...

Hello my daugters mother decided she wants to take my child out of school up root and just move to Tennessee to help her other daughters father with his chemo .....i pay child support im very active in my childs life in fact just last school period she lived with me and i enrolled her in school because her mother had no place to live at the time .....my child mother has been gone for the last month and half takin care of the other guy while me and her friend make sure our child gets to school ....want can i do to keep her from takin my child out of school and just movin her out of state without my approval

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My name is ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i havent talked to a lawyer yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Go ahead

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. So, generally, you may need to file an emergency custody order to prevent her from taking the child out of state. I am presuming that the custody order currently does not have any clause that says that anyone is allowed to take the child out of state; thus, the smart thing to do would be to get an order from the court where the order was put in and try to get a judge to block her from taking the child out of state by either giving you more custody or otherwise entering a new order that she is not allowed to do such a thing. If she does such a thing, then she could be held in contempt of court and possibly fined for her actions. She could also be held liable for kidnapping as well.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter that says that she is not allowed to take the child out of state. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today?