Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am paying alimony and effective Jan. 1st my pay will be…

Customer Question
I am paying alimony...

I am paying alimony and effective Jan. 1st my pay will be reduced by $25000. I am now receiving social security. Is social security figured in to income. My divorce was finalized in 2002 so social security income happened 2015.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet my lawyer died

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Ordinarily, your social security income will be included as a part of the alimony calculation. The Social Security Administration has the authority to even garnish your SSI to help take care of alimony payments. I'm very sorry about your reduction in income. Did you have any other questions for me?

okay does my social security figured into my income for the courts, when my divorce was finalized in 2002. My income will be reduced $25,000 dollars effective Jan. 1st. i will be going to partime 30 hours a week.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you very much for your patience. Ordinarily, your social security income will be included as a part of the alimony calculation. The Social Security Administration has the authority to even garnish your SSI to help take care of alimony payments. I'm very sorry about your reduction in income. Did you have any other questions for me?