Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am seeking to modify a parenting plan. The most recent…

I am seeking to modify...
I am seeking to modify a parenting plan. The most recent stipulation through mediation in January 2017 became a court order in April 2017 after it was filed. In it father and I have joint legal
And joint physical custody. It further specifies that the father has primary physical custody and primaryresudence. However the father fulfil his timeshare due to his work responsibilities.I am seeking a 50/50 parenting plan and to remove a clause that the father can have unlimited makeup time for parenting time lost dad due to the work and replace it with an extra week's vacation in the summer.Does Montenegro apply here? Do I need to prove change of circumstances or does the best interest standard apply because I am seeking to modify the schedule and not the custody? Does the term "primary physical custody" matter here?
The father did not fulfill his time share. The minor child was in my de facto custody more than 50% of the time.
I was hospitalized for a manic episode in October 2016. The father wants to use this against me.
I am in treatment under a psychiatrist and taking medication. My doctor's do not think I am bipolar. But that was the original diagnosis
How can that hurt my case
12/14/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
What state is this in regards ***** *****?
California

Thank you; a few minutes please.

Fortunately mental illness in and of itself does not negatively affect child custody issues; rather as with all child custody issues the court will look to the best interests of the child. The statutory factors the court will consider are listed below with commentary to follow:

3011.

In making a determination of the best interest of the child in a proceeding described in Section 3021, the court shall, among any other factors it finds relevant, consider all of the following:

(a) The health, safety, and welfare of the child.

(b) Any history of abuse by one parent or any other person seeking custody against any of the following:

(1) Any child to whom he or she is related by blood or affinity or with whom he or she has had a caretaking relationship, no matter how temporary.

(2) The other parent.

(3) A parent, current spouse, or cohabitant, of the parent or person seeking custody, or a person with whom the parent or person seeking custody has a dating or engagement relationship.

As a prerequisite to considering allegations of abuse, the court may require substantial independent corroboration, including, but not limited to, written reports by law enforcement agencies, child protective services or other social welfare agencies, courts, medical facilities, or other public agencies or private nonprofit organizations providing services to victims of sexual assault or domestic violence. As used in this subdivision, “abuse against a child” means “child abuse” as defined in Section 11165.6 of the Penal Code and abuse against any of the other persons described in paragraph (2) or (3) means “abuse” as defined in Section 6203 of this code.

(c) The nature and amount of contact with both parents, except as provided in Section 3046.

(d) The habitual or continual illegal use of controlled substances, the habitual or continual abuse of alcohol, or the habitual or continual abuse of prescribed controlled substances by either parent. Before considering these allegations, the court may first require independent corroboration, including, but not limited to, written reports from law enforcement agencies, courts, probation departments, social welfare agencies, medical facilities, rehabilitation facilities, or other public agencies or nonprofit organizations providing drug and alcohol abuse services. As used in this subdivision, “controlled substances” has the same meaning as defined in the California Uniform Controlled Substances Act, Division 10 (commencing with Section 11000) of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) (1) Where allegations about a parent pursuant to subdivision (b) or (d) have been brought to the attention of the court in the current proceeding, and the court makes an order for sole or joint custody to that parent, the court shall state its reasons in writing or on the record. In these circumstances, the court shall ensure that any order regarding custody or visitation is specific as to time, day, place, and manner of transfer of the child as set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 6323.

(2) The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply if the parties stipulate in writing or on the record regarding custody or visitation.

(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 258, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2013.)

------

So essentially if a parent is alleging that the other parent is unable to care for the child due to mental illness the court may order what is called a 730 evaluation to evaluate the parent's situation (this can be orderd for both parents)

please see:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=five&linkid=rule5_220

There are extreme cases under Family Code 7827 where parental rights can be denied due to mental health issues but htis requires the court to determine the parent is mentally disabled and is unable to care for and control the child. This is very extreme.

Normally if a parent is unable to properly supervise a child, the court will order supervised visitation.
But as to the original question, if the mental illness does not affect one's ability to parent and the parent indicates they are following medical orders (re: therapy, prescriptions, etc) then the court will look to the child's best interests.

The court will first look to see if there is the requisite substantial change of circumstances (since stability is preferred the court prefers status quo unless change in circumstances exists) and then will look to see if the proposed alteration advances the child's best interests.

Please see:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1187.htm

Age alone (since the child's age has different considerations/requirements/needs) can be considered a change in circumstances; as well as a parent not exercising their parenting time.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Do I need to show change of circumstances? The stipulation awards us both joint legal and joint physical custody. I am not seeking to change that.
The stipulation says he has primary physical custody. Am I correct in thinking that this is not a legal term.
How does Montenegro apply here?

If there is joint physical custody, usually the children spend a little more time with 1 parent than the other because it is too hard to split the time exactly in half. When 1 parent has the child more than half of the time, then that parent is sometimes called the “primary custodial parent.” It is also referred to as primary physical custody.

And change of circumstances is required to for the court to make any modification; so for example if it is currently 50/50 and the parent is trying to increase their physical custody then that would require a change in circumstances.

Is this something I need to show substantial change in circumstances to change?
Does it matter that the father did not actually fulfill his custody? What I am asking is not a change to the status quo but to have the papers reflect the de facto status quo which is 50/50

If they are only trying to change parenting time (visitation) then Enrique M v Angelina V applies and the court will look to the best interests of the child.

If a more comprehensive overview is done (changing custody- so for example, changing from sole to joint- those terms are explained here:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/17975.htm

I am not changing from sole to joint physical or joint legal
I have joint physical and joint legal
That remains the same.

So the father is not attempting to seek to change custody?

I want to change a makeup clause that allows the father to have makeup time for time he misses due to work.
I am.
But I am not changing custody per se as we already have joint legal and physical

Then the case cited (enrique) applies and change in circumstances are not applicable; a 730 would likely not be ordered if it is just a minor modification.

I am asking for more parenting time. That a weekly afternoon visitation becomes an overnight
to clarify, the fact that the stipulation says the father has "primary physical custody" does not mean that Montenegro applies?
Enrique applies because it is a minor modification?
As it is written now we split weekends and holidays equally. I have one overnight and one visitation a week.
Basically all I am asking for is for that weekly visitation to become an overnight
I want the free and unfettered makeup clause removed because it prevents stability for our minor child

Yes, so that would be a visitation issue versus a change from for example sole to joint custody and per Enrique:

On appeal, Enrique contends that he was not required to demonstrate a change of circumstances because he did not seek to modify custody of X. We hold that the standard of proof a parent sharing joint custody must meet to effect a change in parenting time is the best interest of the child, not changed circumstances. https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2327255990702823119&q=enrique+m+v+angelina+v&hl=en&as_sdt=40006

so the best interests of the child would govern without a change in circumstances being required.

Montenegro does not apply here, Enrique does. The term " primary physical custody" which is awarded to the father is not germane?
Sore I am repeating questions. I want I make sure I understand correctly.

Primary physical custody is not commonly used

Please see:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/18234.htm

"Generally, a parent who has a permanent order for sole physical custody (also called “primary physical custody”)"

So if a parent is modifying actual custody (from joint to sole or sole to joint) then one would need to show a change in circumstances; if one is merely requesting modification of visitation (ie an extra afternoon) then a change in circumstances is not required.

What about an extra overnight? Replacing a visitation with an overnight? This is what I am requesting. The father objects.

This case may help explain:

In recognition of this policy concern, we have articulated a variation on the best interest standard, known as the changed circumstance rule, that the trial court must apply when a parent seeks modification of a final judicial custody determination. (Montenegro, supra, 26 Cal.4th at p. 256, 109 Cal.Rptr.2d 575, 27 P.3d 289, relying on Burchard v. Garay (1986) 42 Cal.3d 531, 535, 229 Cal.Rptr. 800, 724 P.2d 486.) Under the changed circumstance rule, custody modification is appropriate only if the parent seeking modification demonstrates "a significant change of circumstances" indicating that a different custody arrangement would be in the child's best interest. (Ibid.) Not only does this serve to protect the weighty interest in stable custody arrangements, but it also fosters judicial economy. (Ibid.)[4]

The Family Code contemplates that, in making a custody determination, consideration of the best interest of the child may lead the trial court to award custody either to both parents (joint or shared custody) or to only one parent (sole custody). If a parent is awarded "sole legal custody," that means the parent "shall have the right and the responsibility to make the decisions relating to the health, education, and welfare of a child." (§ 3006.) If a parent is awarded "sole physical custody," that means the child "shall reside with and be under the supervision" of the custodial parent, "subject to the power of the court to order visitation" for the noncustodial parent. (§ 3007.)

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6590025258992342504&q=montenegro+child+custody&hl=en&as_sdt=4,5

Brown v Brown.

So unless a party is requesting modification of a final custody order (a change from sole to joint and vice versa for example) then a change of circumstances is not required.

The order reads: "Parents to Share Joint and Legal Custody of the Child. Father to have primary physical custody and Primary residence.
Which applies:
1) Enrique- best interests of the child
2) Montenegro- change of circumstances

If you review the family code that term is not used; please see family code 3003, 3004, 3006, 3007

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=3007.&lawCode=FAM

so one may seek a clarification from the court asking which the court intends (often times primary physical custody is used in settlement agreements and then incorporated into an order).

Normally it refers to sole physical custody to one parent with the other parent having visitation.

So unless one is requesting a change in the definitions of a final order per the legal terms as identified in the statute, Montenegro does not apply.

I hope this helps.

When there is confusion on the terminology in the original order often the submitting attorney will prepare a trial brief detailing the issues and citing case law in support of.

I am pro per. Should I submit a brief on this prior to the court date which is in 6 weeks?
Is the term "primary physical custody" going to make the burden of proof for me "change of circumstances?"

It depends on what the court determines was intended by primary physical custody since that term is not defined.

If there are changed circumstances it is possible to plea those in the alternative and request a modification of a final custody order based on the changed circumstances and, alternatively, plea for a change in visitation which does not require a change in circumstances. Simultaneously one may request the court to clarify as to which family code applies to the parties situations (FC 3003-3007)

first I am going to have to prove that "primary physical custody" is irrelevant.

Not that it is irrelevant rather that it is not defined in the family code and to request clarification of what the court intended.

So for example one can plead for one situation (change in final order of legal custody per Montenegro) or in the alternative plead for a change of visitation which only requires a best interest of the child analysis per Enrique.

So in the first argument one would set forth the changed circumstances; in the second it would not be required.

That would cover both issues but it is important to seek clarification of any terms that are not defined in the family code.

the father may have a case. He can say: She is trying to change "primary physical custody"--hence Montenegro/Change of Circumstances Standard.

If they argue that primary physical custody is sole physical pursuant to 3007 that is correct.

I'd rather have this in writing. No need for a live call.
The order says" Parents to joint physical and legal custody of the child. Father to have primary custody and primary residence."Since:
a) The order stipulates joint physical and legal custody
-and--
b) "primary custody is not a legal termTherefore as long as I do not seek to change joint physical and legal custody I am in the clear. Can OP council argue I am because an equal schedule changes "primary physical custody"

As long as the custody (joint physical and joint legal) is not being altered then that is correct.

yes, they can argue that an equal schedule changes primary physical but they would need to persuade the judge as to that and cite relevant case law.

My position: Enrique. Best interests of the child. No change in custody as we both have joint legal and physical custody.
His (likely) position: Montenegro. Change of circumstances because she is seeking to change "primary physical custody".Is there any relevant case law? Does the fact that both were listed and the fact that "primary physical custody" is not a legal term sway this in my favor?
Before the trial, do I need to file a brief with the court arguing this, or do I just say it in the trial? If I have more evidence than what I included in the RFO do I need to submit it to the court 10 court days in advance of the hearing?

I'm sorry but researching case law is really beyond the scope of this site; I included the other cases as a courtesy.

Normally a brief is presented which sets forth relevant case law and distinguishes from contrary case law. This takes hundreds if not thousands of dollars if an attorney does this due to the complexity and time not to mention the fees of the subscription research sites.

Do I need to file a brief addressing this issue? I submitted an RFO. Our court date is in six weeks.

A brief is not required unless ordered, but is often used ; please see:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/documents/prep_famlaw_trial_brief.pdf

If you have further questions can you kindly post them in a new thread after rating this? We have greatly exceeded the scope of the initial question and per the site rules I am only permitted to address one question per page.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
What arguments should I make before a change to change a makeup clause in my parenting plan that allows my ex to "bank" time and make it up inhibiting stability for our daughter.

Would you mind posting a new question since per the site rules I am limited to responding to one topic per question and this is beyond the scope of the original question?
If you would like you can request me by putting to legal gems in front of the question and I will do my best to get you the information. Thank you!

Ok.