Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My friend is currently ivc. Nc. I am caring for her 4

Customer Question
My friend is currently...

My friend is currently ivc

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I am caring for her 4 children, and have been on and off since the first time she was admitted for severe pdd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. She was informed today by her dr that they called cps

My friend admitted herself to the psych ward on Oct 29. At that time I started to watch her 4 children and she was diagnosed with post partum depression. Between me and another family the children have not been back in her custody since, as she was having thoughts of hurting the baby. She isn't planing on taking the children back until the right dose of the right meds are found to deal with her diagnosis. She also has Autism, so that filter of I shouldn't say everything that comes to mind isn't there. She was involuntary commited Sat. 
with suicidal thoughts after she admitted to me she was Contiplating jumping while standing on a bridge. The doctors have filed a report against her at CPS. My question is this. I have 3 medically complex kids. I don't want the state to come in, see them, and decide they want the government grants that come with them. I have never had any complaints against myself. I want to know what I legally have to let CPS do with her kids? Do I have to show them where they are staying If I am not seeking custody? Can I request that they assess them in a neutral location. I want them to see her kids are fine and she is doing what is needed to keep them safe, without becoming a target. Several of the moms in the community with the diagnosises my kids have lost their children temporarily while they prove they are not the cause of the kids illness, so I am fearful of CPS due to their experiences. Please help me figure out how to keep all 7 kids safe, happy, and out of the foster system.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Legally, if CPS wants to take her children, since they are not your children, you have to cooperate and you have to turn in the children to CPS. You have to cooperate with CPS and allow them to see them in your home if that is what CPS demands and they have the right to inspect your home as well. So, once you get involved in a situation like this, you have no choice but to cooperate with CPS or they will simply take the children and then it is too late to agree to cooperate with them I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.