Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Prince Georges County, MD. I have two children 14…

Customer Question
I live in Prince...

I live in Prince Georges County, MD. I have two children 14 and 17. After to trials in family court and one protective order which was extended for 6 additional months, the end result was joint custody with my days being Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and every other Sunday. No child support was granted. I am supposed to provide heath insurance of which he is to share the 50% of the cost. He is supposed to pick them up from school on Thursdays. We are to meet at a neutral location on every other Sunday for me to pick them up. I was given tie breaker. June 6, 2014 when he walked past the kids and I in the hall of the court house was the last time that he saw the kids. He never showed up at school to pick them up. I haven't seen any help with health insurance. He was given the legal right to do what he said he would do which is to not give us a dime. The peacefulness has been nice. But as the kids get older and I see college looming in the future. Unfortunately because we have joint custody colleges expect both parents to give up their financials in order for the student to receive financial aid. I do not even care about the money. I just do not want to have my hands tied in raising the kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I have no money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other then the fact that he was abusive verbally, physically and financially which didn't seem to a have any weight in the outcome in the past visits to family court.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Is there anything that I can do besides going back to court?

I am terribly sorry that your children's father did not wish to be a part of their lives; I never have understood that.

Whenever there is a change of circumstances or a party has failed to exercise their parenting time, the other parent may bring a modification request - for example a request for sole physical and legal custody; please see:

https://www.peoples-law.org/child-custody-maryland

The forms are available here

Please see definition of legal parent for FASFA purposes here:

https://blog.ed.gov/2015/12/parents-guide-completing-fafsa/

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info#divorced-separated-living-apart

specifically on the second link:

Divorced or Separated Parents Who Do Not Live Together

If your parents are divorced or separated and don’t live together, answer the questions about the parent with whom you lived more during the past 12 months.

If you lived the same amount of time with each divorced or separated parent, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent 12 months that you actually received support from a parent.

But in order to have sole custody this would require a court order.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Is there a form to be filled out concerning his lack of panting 1/2 of their health insurance?

When a parent fails to comply with a court order re: payments and they have the financial ability to do so the party can move for contempt

The second link here has contempt forms.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer