Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My lawyer has been very unresponsive and billed me

Customer Question
My lawyer has been...

My lawyer has been very unresponsive and billed me excessively - $900 to prepare a draft for inventory and appraisment - and I have repeatedly emailed and called her without response sometimes for over a week. Today she announced me she is quitting my case and I owe her more money. how can I dispute her billing, which is absolutely random?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I just received the letter from her assistant I had started to look for other lawyers because my case was stagnant and she was not responding at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just how to dispute billing, and get my paperwork from her Thank you so much!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Hi Ray! I appreciate your help!

File a grievance with the state bar of Texas.

The first step in filing a grievance is to complete a grievance form through our online submission system. The forms are also available in pdf format: English or Spanish.

Please be sure to send copies of all supporting documents such as letters, pleadings (court documents), emails, etc. Do not send originals.

If you are reporting the conduct of your current or former lawyer, it is important to know that signing the grievance (complaint) form waives the attorney-client privilege that would otherwise keep discussions between you and your lawyer confidential. Waiver of this privilege is necessary for the State Bar to review your complaint.

Steps for Filing a Grievance

• The first step in filing a grievance is to complete a grievance form through our online submission system. The forms are also available in pdf format: English or Spanish.

• Fill out the grievance form completely. Answer every question as best you can.

• Be sure to attach copies (not originals) of any documents that you believe will help explain your grievance.

• Mail your copies of your documents to:

State Bar of Texas
Chief Disciplinary Counsel's Office
P.O. Box 13287
Austin, Texas 78711
Or fax it to(###) ###-####/p>

You can certainly dispute this with a grievance through the state Bar of Texas.There are serious questions of over billing it appears and failure to communicate.

I hope you will file and see if you can get a better outcome.The lawyer may offer to reduce the bill tor resolve it here.

I appreciate the chance to help you , so sorry you have had this happen.

If you can positive rate 5 stars always much appreciated.

I wish you a Happy Holidays too.

I am going through a divorce and this lawyer has tried to get me in court repeatedly, tried to get my parents to testify in court as well, has delayed communication with the other lawyer (I received evidence from my future ex that her office did not respond sometimes even for 10 days), and dragged the case. Every time I called or emailed about it I had bullet points and I did not get much info. I was not explained the process, but told different interpretations. She did, however charged me a lot, and without real explanations of billing
here is her last billing this evening

Sounds like you need to file a grievance.

Can I request an arbitration?
If I file the grievance and the confidentiality is waved, will she be allowed to discuss the case with the opposing counsel and share details I shared with her?

Yes what city are in you in here, some local bars have arbitration,thanks

League City, TX
will arbitration also cancel confidentiality? I am worried about her communicating with the other lawyer.

Has to be through state bar here.Nothing local.It only cancels it between lawyer and the bar.She cannot talk to other lawyer about you here.

I apologize, I am shocked by her doing and I just want to make sure I understand correctly - if I file a grievance with the bar or request arbitration she will not be legally allowed to speak with the other attorney, correct?
Hi Ray. Could you please confirm that she cannot reveal confidential information if I file a grievance?

Thats correct only with the bar because the lawyer has to respond here and the lawyer can be fined, reprimanded, force to refund money ,etc.Thanks.

One last question please - what are the fees to file a grievance?

There are no fees the bar handles it and its free.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!

You are so welcome stars at top of page,thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer