Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My divorce was finalized and all debts were given to me as a…

Customer Question
My divorce was finalized...

My divorce was finalized and all debts were given to me as a bargaining tool to have to pay less alimony . I am interested in looking to file bankruptcy , but am concerned that my ex will try to get more money from me after I do . Is this a valid concern?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WI

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yeah, both the bankruptcy lawyer and my divorce lawyer don’t have a certain answer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It would be chapter 13, not 7, since I cannot meet the means test

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

It is definitely a valid concern if wife is also on the debts. If you file BK, that extinguishes your legal obligation to pay them. But if wife is a cosigner on any of them, that means that they can just go after only her now for repayment.

.

If they did, she can file a motion with the court to revisit the alimony issue since by your actions you have put the obligation to pay the debts back on her..

.

But if you are doing a Ch 13, which is a reorganization, that means that some of the debts will be reduced and the rest would be paid off over 3 to 5 years in a payment plan. But if they went back after ex for anything that was reduced or wiped out in your CH 13, you are back in the same boat again..

.

.

thanks

If it’s just reorganized and not reduced through a chapter 128, does the same rule apply ?

No, if the debts are not reduced/forgiven, then it wouldn't affect the ex because the entire debts will be paid off over the 5 year period under a CH 13..

.

So since they wouldn't be looking at her to pay any of the debts, that wouldn't trigger her rights to go back and demand alimony..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer