Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a form to quash a motion for testimony related to…

Customer Question
I need a form...

I need a form to quash a motion for testimony related to mental health because the subpoena was served without appropriate language and without a court order

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/13/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here is sample motion to quash here to quash the subpoena and evidence.This will walk you though drafting and filing it.Send copy to other side after you file original here.

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/motion-quash

Thanks and thanks for raring 5 stars.Good luck to you.

A Motion to Quash evidence asks a judge to suppress a piece of evidence because there is a problem with it. If the motion is granted, the evidence can’t be used in court. A Motion to Quash evidence is typically used in a criminal case and often called a “Motion to Suppress Evidence.” Some examples of when a Motion to Quash evidence can be used:

• The chain of custody was broken;
  • The evidence is confidential or highly prejudicial; or
  • The evidence was tampered with.
The subpoena, however, is related to a parent(s) of a child who had been adjudicated and is in relation to a juvenile court proceeding, should I comply then?

You can go either way here provide it or file a motion to quash.The court would then have to decide if you want to contest it here.But legally if you have a subpoena it is issued by a court and you would be able to provide the records on that basis.

It was not a court order but signed by a circuit clerk and did not have required language per the mental health disabilities act

So here the safe play is to produce the records to the court for inspection and advise the other side that you did that because of the problems with subpoena.You cannot go wrong that way have court review them and decide whether they can be released.Consider that option. You can hand deliver them to court with a cover letter expressing your concerns about releasing them and asking court to review them and decide the matter and issue orders.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer