Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it possible to acquire a second marriage license from…

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to acquire a second marriage license from Pennsylvania? I've already been married in Maryland for a few years and filed my taxes as such. If I for some reason I needed a marriage certificate with a more recent date, can I apply for a license from, say, Pennsylvania?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The state I live in is Maryland. The second license I'd like to acquire would be from Virginia, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that I'm not looking to do anything illegal; just trying to understand the prerequisites of the law.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

You can not obtain a valid marriage license if you are already married.

To obtain the second license you would need to swear that you are legally eligible to be married, which you are not by virtue of the existing marriage.

This is true even if you want a new license with the existing spouse.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you exposing yourself to criminal liability and spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

The goal here was to get a marriage certificate less than 60 days old for the purposes of generating the qualifying event of enrolling my wife in health insurance. The problem is that there was a malfunction with my company's Health Insurance enrollment website, but I have no way to prove it. When I contacted our Health Insurance provider, they verified that there was an error but stated no exception could be made. This is probably outside the purview of family law, but would there be any legal recourse I have to get my significant other enrolled with my health insurance?

Unfortunately, it may not be possible. You can discuss it with HR or the insurance provider to see if there is a work around.

All I can tell you for now, though, is that you can not get a valid second marriage license. In the case you are describing it would not only be bigamous, but it could also be insurance fraud.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Loren, Lawyer