Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter just got married what does need for name change.

Customer Question
My daughter just got...

My daughter just got married what does need for name change

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

ILLINOIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO DOES SHE NEED PARENTS S S #

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If your daughter put on the marriage license that she'd be changing her name, the marriage certificate is enough to start updating her documentation. The first step is to get a certified copy from the state. Then she'll need a photo ID such as a driver's license or passport to prove her identity. She should check the requirements of each agency before going to visit. Some places may ask to see her birth certificate if she doesn't have a passport. There is no need to provide any information about her parents when updating the name due to marriage.

When a person doesn't make the change on the marriage certificate, then a court order is needed to change the name. That will require filing a Petition with the courts but again, she doesn't need a social security number or similar information about her parents. She just has to explain the reason for the change and swear an oath that she's not doing it to defraud her creditors. Because she got married recently, it should be fairly straightforward.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer