Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a legal guardian for my adult daught. My legal

Customer Question
I am a legal...

I am a legal guardian for my adult daught

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

My legal guardianship is in Michigan, and we now live in Florida. Michigan is holding the legal guardianship until i have one in Florida. My daughter does want me as her legal guardian. Do I need an attorney? I have very little money and my daughter is indigent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/13/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I was my adult mentally ill daughter’s legal guardian in Florida before she moved to Michigan. She is now living at a home for mentally ill adults in Delray Beach, Fl.
In Palm Beach County. I live in the adjoining county, Broward County.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with guardianship issues and to make it more confusing, FL is not part of the federal guardianship act (UAGPPJA) which simplifies transfers of guardianships between states.

As such the following must be done when one moves a ward to FL:

1. petition the original state for permission to move

2. restart the guardianship process in FL whereby the court will reassess the need for a guardian and determine the proper appointment.

please see:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/guardianship.stml

https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/pamphlet030/

This site may be able to recommend an agency that will assist with legal documentation:

http://apd.myflorida.com/

Unfortunately per Florida Probate Rule 5.030 an attorney must be involved in the case.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: