Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was served with an order of protection from an ex

Customer Question
boyfriend. I live in Nevada...
I was served with an order of protection from an ex boyfriend. I live in Nevada he lives in Arizona. He was angry I told him I wouldn't testify nor give him an affidavit regarding the mother of his child as I had met her and all he was saying was provable to not be true. She is a great person. After denying him this and telling him that I just found out I was pregnant and it was his he started sending me hostile text messages about leaving him and his girlfriend alone. I wasn't bothering him. I believe he got this to stop the communication about the unborn child and angry because I wouldn't support his vendetta against the mother of his child. What should I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Does the order of protection have a hearing date on it in which you are required to appear in Arizona?

no. I have to request a hearing within a year. I intend to in January after the holidays. I believe he is trying to stop me from testifying in his court battle with his ex because when I dated him I know how much money he collected in cash and how he told me he had to hide it from her so he wouldn't have to pay child support. He begged me to do an affidavit October 7 and I said I couldn't as it was dishonest. FYI, the Mother subpoenaed his bank accounts and she found 3 accounts he never declared on his financial affidavits and it supports what I have said.

If you think it is worth it to go to Arizona to contest the protection order, then you can certainly do that. At the hearing he will have to prove the allegations in the order. What was it that he said about you in the order?

I was harassing him by contacting him so I stopped but when I became pregnant knowing it was his I told him in one short text. Then it started. Him and his girlfriend saying it was a lie he slept with me. I'm a whore. And that I made friends with the mother of his child(no "crime" there) and that I spray painted my name on his garage. Not true. I had no idea some had vandalized his garage - and he said someone left size 12 shoe prints - I am a woman and wear a size 8. It makes no sense. And he has a lot of enemies including now this girlfriend who left him after he finally confessed to sleeping with me. I did not vandalize anything I live in Vegas. It's crazy .

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. The only potential instance that would even possibly qualify for a protection order would be the spray painting issue (unless you physically threatened him or his family in any texts). He will have to prove that it was you who spray painted his house, which sounds like it will be impossible for him to do.

You should easily be able to convince the judge that the order should be lifted. Can you bring any proof that you were in Nevada at the time the spray painting occurred? Timesheets from work, for example?

of course. When I sign my child into kindergarten and sign him out. PU from school bus. A statement from whomever I am working for that day. What was spray painted was KAYLA plus LUPE 4ever. It's comical - why would I vandalize someone's property and put my name on it. Sounds more like a disgruntled ex employer (he was recently fired for stealing) or his most recent ex. Can I bring up the fact that he only has supervised visitation with his current child due to domestic violence?
I don't want it on my public record. That is my driving force.
I am still testifying for the mother regardless.
the fact that I believe he is trying to prevent me from testifying in his case against/with the mother of his child
are u there

I am here. Sorry about the delayed response. All those things you mentioned would be helpful at the hearing. The visitation with his current child issue may be considered irrelevant, but it wouldn't hurt to bring it up. If the judge says he/she doesn't want to hear about that issue, they will let you know. Do you have any more questions today?