Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like to know what the commonlaw marriage divorce…

I would like to...

I would like to know what the commonlaw marriage divorce rights are in Colorado. I have proof of commonlaw marriage. My husband pays for the house and my car. How will this affect my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. I decided to check here first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

12/12/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If there has been a validly established common law marriage in Colorado, where the parties lived as husband and wife and held themselves out to the public as being married, then the parties have the same rights in dissolution as any other married couple. Colorado is an equitable distribution state, meaning all property acquired during the common law marriage is divided by the court in a manner the court deems equitable based on contributions of the parties to the marriage. The legal presumption is the court starts with dividing 50-50, unless they have some good cause reason to deviate from that division.

So, you would file for a regular divorce in court and it would proceed like dissolution of any other marriage.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer