Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex cheated on me with his current girlfriend who was my…

Customer Question
My ex cheated on...

My ex cheated on me with his current girlfriend who was my therapist. She found Facebook posts saying she was sleeping with him behind my back and is now threatening to sue me and have me arrested for slander and stalking. Sadly he lives next door to me. I wish he didn't. Can she do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know she just sent me a message this morning saying she has

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/12/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The truth is a defense. By that, I mean if she did she sleep with him behind your back and he cheated on you, with her, there is nothing wrong with stating that. The fact that this makes her look bad, does not mean she can sue you when it was her, who did this. You have no obligation to keep quiet about this and if you wanted to comment or post about it, it would be at your discretion. You can not harass her but if you posted this on FB, it would be hard for her to sue when it was true. Moreover, you could have a basis to file a complaint against her and her license, if she was seeing you and went behind your back and was having relations with your ex

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law