Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandmother raised me I'm her only grandchild and she…

Customer Question
My grandmother raised me I'm...
My grandmother raised me I'm her only grandchild and she passed away in 2008, she told me before she passed that she left me mone and other things i.e. house , car, jewelery, antiques, ect. I was staying with her and my grandpa, and a week after she passed I received a check in the mail made out to me, however my grandpa told me it was some kind of mistake that I was not supposed to receive any money until he passed and had me sign the check over to him. I was going through some things I was young and partying and I believe my grandpa was lying to me I did not stay there any longer and since that was my mailing address I would never know if I received any other checks. I know it has been a long time but is there any way to get a copy of my grandma's will or fund out what I was suppose to receive, there was never a meeting for a reading of the will or anything. My grandma spoiled me rotten and was very very well off, she had a surgery the doctor left a gauze inside of her for year that created a bacteria that in turn killed her, she sued and won, as did my grandpa.before she had passed on many many occasions she would reassure me I would be taken care of, as well as my children, she did not get along with my grandpa or my father and knew I didn't either, we had each other and thats it. She never would have left me with nothing until my grandfather passed, and what about the stuff that was just hers like jewelery, keepsakes, photo albums, antiques, ect. I am not sure what to do or even if I can do anything Pl ease help in anyway you can, thanks so much for your time,
Angela
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

Hi Angela,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Start by contacting the local probate court. If someone mailed you a check, that could mean she left a will with an executor. The probate court would show a court case where the executor was distributing assets. You'll be able to get the name of the executor, and then you can contact that person to find out (a) what you should have gotten and (b) what happened to those checks. You'll want to know if your grandfather forged your name and cashed them (which is illegal) or if they are still outstanding. The executor can also tell you what personal items you should have had, and you'll be able to go to pick them up. If your grandfather tries to stop you, you can file a request for a court order and have police go with you to get the items once you receive it.

The amount of time that's passed could be a problem here. Depending on where your grandmother lived and the amount of money involved, the statute of limitations on fraud may have already passed. It may be too late to bring a lawsuit against your grandfather. But if money was being distributed over time, you'll need to know how much and when before deciding your next move.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Is there another way to way to get a copy of the will? I know who the executor is I just don't speak or get along with my family at all. However my uncle never said anything about any of my grandma's belongings. I am 100% sure she left me a great deal of money and some other things. Is there any other way to get that information. Also the amount of money is too much for my grandpa to spend so if he still has it there would not be a problem regarding the time it has been only if he did and I had to attempt to press charges is that correct?

The will should be filed with the probate court. Since court documents are public record, as long as you pay any copying fees, they should give it to you.

The statute of limitations is how long a person has to press charges after a crime or civil wrong occurs. It doesn't matter whether he still has the money. If the statute has passed, that will limit your options. Each time you were supposed to get a check, that starts a new time period for filing against him.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer