Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In FL, I have a support order for arrears, after

Customer Question
In FL, I have...

In FL, I have a support order for arrears, after recommendation and order for arrears was set in default was finalized by the presiding judge.The arrears stem from a support order (via marriage dissolution) in 2000. The order was not acted upon until 2012, when my ex requested assistance. The Department of Revenue set action to enforce the support order and establish any accrued arrears. The initial arrears was established and notated in my support information. I received the first request to schedule an appointment with monthly support requirements and updated arrears sometime in 2012. Previous to to that notification, there had been no attempt of action on the 2000 support order. In February 2016, my son turned 18 and the support order was ended. A request to modify and update arrears was request and authorized by my ex (via Department of Revenue.) The hearing to set arrears wasn't scheduled until October of this year. A letter of notification was sent by standard mail, but I never received it. The hearing convened, as scheduled and I the recommendation of arrears totaling 32k was given by the hearing officer and order by the presiding judge. It was also recommended that monthly payments totaling $200 a month were to be assessed for payment until the debt was satisfied. This past week, my bank account was seize and liquildated by standing order and by all accounts, it seems that this hold will continue until the arrears are satisfied as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida... My questions are: 1. Should I file a motion to set aside the default judgment/order and rehear for the arrears hearing, or should I prepared to submit a motion to dismiss the arrears order for reason of equitable estoppel of laches

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I live in Texas. I'm considering attack this pro-se. I feel this case satisfies the three elements of the laches defense: delay, prejudice, and other party's knowledge of my whereabouts during that time period.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's about it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
In addition the unreasonable delay in establishing support, would the addition measures taken for setting arrears after emancipation (bank account liquidation and hold) set precedence for prejudice? If accrues would have been modified and set before emancipation, the pre-existing order would have continued and support payments would have continued on a monthly basis until the arrears were satisfied.
12/12/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your post.

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ely, Counselor at Law