Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Married 3 years, moved to Fla. from NYS to husbands home.,

Customer Question
Married 3 years, moved...

Married 3 years, moved to Fla. from NYS to husbands home., Husband decided he wants a divorce. (sudden). Wife does not believe in divorce...He moves out to another home he owns. Can wife be forced out of home that he promised to add her name to before she made the move and married. He refused after marriage to keep his promise, which I didn.t push him to do. I am now 82 yrs. with no where to go,, living on S.S. and a Va benefit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO, this came as a surprise.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. Generally, you cannot be forced out of the home unless there's an issue of domestic violence, which doesn't seem to be the case base on what you provided. If he had the home prior to your marriage, then you may be considered a tenant after the divorce goes through and you may have to vacate; however, until that time, the court is not going to require you leave.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

HrHe is going to put this home on the market to sell. So he has no respsonsbilities for my welfare when I have moved so far away and have done nothing but try to maintain this marriage?

I'm sorry to hear about that. If he does that, I would recommend filing for divorce and then at that point he can't sell his property, particularly if you are living in it.

Ely, Counselor at Law