Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking for assistance to find out what my rights are…

Customer Question
Hello. i am looking...

Hello. i am looking for assistance to find out what my rights are and what are the steps I should be taking to begin the process of dissolution of marriage and set up child support. I am limited financially and need to set up child support before he moves out of state and I move out of state.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I need a consulation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to get this done with quickly. there is nothing to separate. just determine child support and visitation. I want sole custody and the kids will be living with me.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

In order to get child support, you'll start by filing for divorce and primary custody of the children. If the other parent is in agreement, that will make things faster. An uncontested divorce can be completed on average in about 3 months. You do have the ability to file a Motion for Temporary Support during that time period. If you wind up moving out of state before the divorce is finalized, you'll have to go back to Florida for the hearings.

You're not required to hire a lawyer. If you cannot afford the filing fee, the courthouse should have forms you can fill out to request a waiver. Call before you go in to verify the fee and see if they have forms.

The state has the forms needed available online, along with instructions.

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/family-law-forms.stml

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer