Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son lives in Illinois. He entered into a "Registered

Customer Question
My son lives in...

My son lives in Illinois. He entered into a "Registered Domestic Parnership" with his significant other when they were living together in Las Vegas so that she could be covered by his health insurance. She never held a job for very long. They moved to Illinois so that he could accept a job in Chicago. And he bought a home. 1-1/2 years ago the relationship broke down and he moved out, into a studio apartment, leaving her in the home (probably worth $750,000). He was told by his lawyer in Chicago that due to the fact that Illinois has no such thing as a "Registered Domestic Partnership" theirs would be treated as a "Civil Union" and would require a divorce in Illinois. Since then, he has supported the home entirely ($3000) a month, paid for her car, car insurance, health club and storage facility and cable tv bill. She has refused to allow the sale of the home (ordered by the court) unless her realtor was used. She was ordered to present her settlement offer a month ago and did not comply. Last week her lawyer summarily quit. My son's liquidity is gone. He is desperate. I asked why the court couldn't simply compel her to move out or force her to settle and let the divorce go forward. His lawyer told him they have to just wait for her to get another lawyer. So...this has been going on since August 2016 with no end in sight. Is there no way for him to get this resolved? He has no money to hire another lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

This is for my son who is becoming increasingly desperate. I can't believe there is no solution other than what he was told by his lawyer. Please read my message to see the situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. nothing i can think of.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I understand. And not being a resident of Illinois, I am completely baffled by the fact that a woman can be allowed by the courts to hold my son hostage and make him a pauper. He is truly desperate at this point while she is living in the home he paid for, to which she contributed not a dime. I was married for 30 years and it took far less time to divorce my ex-husband in Massachusetts. We came to the table with our lawyers and hashed out a settlement. Went to court and that was that. This is completely outrageous and he is too depressed to do anything about it at this point and has no money to hire another lawyer. He believes his lawyer is a good one. I seriously doubt that. He is certainly not aggressive. And this case warrants aggressive.

So, is the only reason the court hasn't granted the dissolution is because they haven't come to terms on the sale of the property?

No. She won't allow his realtor into the home and she also won't present her demands for a settlement. He has made an offer--a generous one, considering they were only together about 6 years. She has steadfastly refused to counter and her lawyer quit in disgust last week.
p.s. there are no children involved!

I see what you mean. This is a bit of a tough situation because he's going to be at the mercy of the court a bit. If the home is the big issue, then even if there are no children involved, then the court is going to be very careful with the property that is of the marriage. Because it is very expensive to live in Chicago, the court is probably going to be very careful. Coupled with the fact that he has a living arrangement right now, it is also likely another reason why the court is going to be taking this very slow.

If one party is being obstinate and doing things like not wanting to settle, then it becomes very difficult and with a packed court calendar, the court is just going have to keep kicking the can down the road.

Sometimes, these things go to trial and she's not required to settle. In theory, she could let it go to trial and let them decide. So, it makes it very difficult and this is why divorces can be so troubling. I'm very sorry for your son.

Ely, Counselor at Law