Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going thru a divorce and the ex’s atty lied about the…

Customer Question
Hi, I am going...

Hi, I am going thru a divorce and the ex’s atty lied about the condition of clothing I returned & other things. The judge got his sympathy when his atty announced he is 2-time cancer survivor. He makes about $150k and I make $0, yet judge agreed with ex that he cant afford spousal support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but, he should be billing the ex, because he has had me pay all costs for appraisals the ex demanded, and now it looks like I am not being reimbursed for anything, he just wants to end it and I am ready to refuse to sign the final divorce decree he’s working on...and of course, billing me for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The judge refused to pay either side’s atty fees because he said both sides have had misconduct—UNTRUE! When his atty stated I threw his clothes into the wrt street, the judge was annoyed, but didn’t adk me about it. I was boxing everything up neatly and I have complained to my atty but he jyst says, why do I care? I have an irder of protection, which also got sympathy for the ex, even by my atty, and the verbal abuse I’ve suffered for years and my mefical condition have been totally ignored. Thank you!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Your attorney's legal duty is to represent your best interests. If your attorney is not doing so and refuses to do so when you tell him you want him to fight these issues, your only other option is firing him and getting a new attorney. So, if you are not getting what you want out of the divorce, before you fire your attorney, you need to take your file copies and go to another local attorney for a "second opinion" and then if you feel comfortable with the new attorney, you hire them first and then fire the original attorney to avoid being stuck without having any legal representation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer